For the last couple of years I have been making the point from time to time during sermons, that I no longer say the pledge of allegiance. I know this might sound strange to some but I cannot bring myself to swear allegiance to any body of people (government or nation) that is totally against the God of the Bible.
Yes, we are to submit to those in power (Rom. 13); but we are never called upon to ally our selves with them. In fact we are commanded to have no fellowship with darkness but to reprove such (Eph. 5:11). As a faithful Christian we should be praying for the defeat of all wicked governments, world over, including ours, as it currently is. A slave was/is to submit to his/her master; but they are not spiritually bound to be “allied” to a wicked master.
Can I pledge (take a vow; give my word to support) to those who murder babies under their perverted view of “freedom” and “law?” God hates those who shed innocent blood; it is an abomination before Him (Pro. 6:16). How can I pledge allegiance to that which He calls an abomination?
Can I pledge allegiance to those who just these week; not only legalized but glamorized sodomy? God’s entire teaching on marriage; the home; men and women as God designed them; has been spat upon “legally” and “officially” by this godless, corrupt, morally bankrupt cesspool, called the American Governmental system. And I will not “pledge allegiance” to that.
I will not put hand to heart and pledge my allegiance to a nation that belittles, contradicts, despises and at every turn tries to silence the word of God. I will not pledge allegiance to those who put God’s will beneath their base emotional; physical and sexual desires (Rom. 1: 18-32).
- I rather pledge undying and total allegiance to God and Him ONLY (Mat. 4:10). I like Paul am not ashamed of the Gospel of Christ, which is the power of God unto salvation, for all men (Rom. 1:16).
- I like Paul pledge to recognize and shout from the roof tops that “the wrath of God is revealed from heaven against all ungodliness and unrighteousness of men, who hold the truth in unrighteousness” (Rom. 1:18). This verse fits our country perfectly.
- I pledge, like Jesus, to not care one whit if what we preach offends every citizen of this vile land (Mat. 15:12-20). Wicked men have always opposed the truth—and faithful men have always ignored them and pressed on toward the mark of our HIGH CALLING (Phi. 3:14).
- I pledge to teach the truth; the whole truth and only the truth (Acts 20:27). Regardless of the consequences and in direct purposeful opposition to any and all POWERS that raise the voice against the Pure, Perfect, Inspired, Saving Word of our Almighty God.
- I pledge my allegiance to stand for the Bride of Christ, the church of Christ (Rev. 21:2). In Matthew 16:13-18 Christ spoke of this one church that He would build. In Acts 2:47, we find that God places all the saved within it. All of the saved of all the earth make up its population.
- I pledge allegiance to stress to the lost that THE ONLY WAY TO BE SAVED IS BY JESUS (Acts 4:12). That God is the only divine being and that all must submit to His word or face destruction (John 12:48).
- I pledge to continue teach THE TRUTH concerning MARRIAGE AND THE HOME, no matter what men may do to us (Mat. 10:28). Including, but not limited to; the abominable sin of homosexuality (Lev. 18:22; Rom. 1:26-32; 1 Cor. 6:9-11). All fornication (unauthorized sexual activity—ONLY GOD can dictate what is proper sexual behavior); heterosexual, homosexual; bestiality; also includes adultery; is sin and will cause men to be lost (1 Cor. 6:9-11).
- I pledge to never join those who do not have a DIVINE RIGHT to marry in a marriage ceremony. I have on several occasions told couples who have asked me to perform their marriage services “no.” And I will continue to do so. I will never attempt to join a homosexual couple either. ONLY GOD CAN JOIN PEOPLE IN MARRIAGE (Mat. 19:6). And all the judges; and politicians, and people of this country– or the world combined; cannot FORCE GOD; to “marry” those who have no right to be married.
Yes, I pledge my allegiance to God and Him ONLY. Much like our political forefathers of a few centuries ago we too are going to have to face the hard questions. And while the Declaration of Independence Does Recognize God as our Creator and the One Who Bestows Rights and Value; our current government has turned its back on these truths, and seeks to take them from us. Forfeiting their right to govern, as set forth in the Declaration.
Let me modify the last couple of sentences of Patrick Henry’s speech just prior to the delegates vote on March 23, 1775.
Men may say peace, peace, but there is no peace. The war has actually begun…. Why stand we here idle? What is it that Christians (he used the word Gentlemen) wish? What would we have? Is life so dear, or peace so sweet, as to be purchased at the price of chains and slavery? Forbid it, Almighty God! I know not what course others may take. But as for me, give me liberty, or give me death.
Brethren, I pledge allegiance to God only. And will live with the consequences of standing by the side of Jesus no matter the cost. For I (like Paul) know whom I have believed, and am persuaded that he is able to keep that which I have committed unto him against that day (2 Tim. 1:12).