Thursday, January 26, 2006
Up Calvary's lonely hill.
The things I saw with my own eyes
Could not have been more real.
I saw upon three crosses
Three men in agony;
Two cried out for mercy;
The third man looked at me.
And, Oh, the hurt in the Man's eyes
Just broke my heart in two.
It seemed that I could hear Him say,
"I'm doing this for you."
I knelt beneath the third man's cross
And slowly bowed my head.
I reached out to touch His feet,
They stained my hand with red.
And when I heard Him cry in pain,
I raised by eyes to see.
The blood spill from the third man's side
And some of it spilled on me.
And there among the mighty crowd
The ones who mocked Him cried,
"King, save thyself, if thou art King."
And then the third man died.
Suddenly I heard the thunder roar,
I saw the ligtning pierce the sky.
The third man was still hanging there;
And I began to cry.
I saw the darkness fall;
I heard the breaking of the ground.
Then I awoke, and though I had dreamed,
I touched by cheek and found.
My eyes were wet where I had cried,
A dream? I wish I knew.
Yes, I can still hear Him say,
"I'm doing this for you."
by request from Tom Wacaster
Monday, January 16, 2006
Someone may be asking, "What can I do in the church?" Here is a list of 50 things to start out with, if you still have time left over or need further direction we can add another 150 things to the list. Here are some simple, yet practical areas you may be able to help in:
- Study your Bible
- Worship Sunday Morning
- Worship Sunday Evening
- Attend Bible Study Sunday Morning
- Attend Bible Study Wednesday Evening
- Teach a Bible Class
- Assist in a Bible Class
- Bring Children to Bible Class
- Visit Shut-ins
- Visit memebrs in the hospital
- Visit non-members in the hospital
- Visit old members
- Visit new members
- Visit newcomers to the community
- Visit in the prisons
- Distribute tracks to hospitals
- Distrubites tracks to your friends
- Distribute tracts to your neighbors
- Do Bible Correspondence Courses
- Grade Bible Correspondence Courses
- Do daily Bible reading
- Give to the Lord's work more
- Conduct home Bible studies
- Pray daily
- Distrubite clothing to needy
- Greet visitors at worship services
- Be an active worshipper
- Donate a book to the church library
- Support gospel meetings in your area
- Invite people to attend services
- Provide transportation to serives
- Provide transportation at other times
- Write a missionary
- Collect toys for needy children
- Call those who are absent from worship
- Have the youth in your home
- Have the elders in your home
- Have the deacons in your home
- Have the preacher in your home
- Take flowers to people who are sick
- Take food to people in need
- Baby sit for a working family
- Prepare food to bereaved
- Show interest in children
- Prepare material for teachers
- Maintain baptistery clothing
- Help at funerals
- Do office work
- Help church secretary
- Help the preacher
NOTE: This is not a works based salvation but these works should come from our love, care, and concerns for souls. These are things not in any particular order but just beginning is important. Once you begin to work on these things you will be suprised how little time you really have to think of self.